Feb 18, 2013

Moving frenzy: it begins

Saori and I went to our last university house party last Saturday. The theme was mythical creatures, which was widely interpreted. Some Chinese students came dresses in heels and traditional cheongsam dress. Others just came in 1920's attire. There were not a few unicorns. Brian wore a massive cardboard mythic bird mask/helmet and construction paper wings pinned to his shirt.

Saori and I both came as high school unicorns. I was the super preppie nerdicorn and Saori was the punk unicorn with her golden horn hanging on a string around her neck. We made our costumes with $15 of supplies from the dollar store. The horns we made from Styrofoam cones and gold wrapping paper. I studded mine with brass thumbtacks and added a single LED at the tip, which was really dramatic in the dimly lit party.

I enjoyed myself, only slightly self-conscious about being a graduate in a school party. Adam came too, as a kind of twentysomething werewolf with paper sideburns. I will miss those crowded parties, with the dancing abandon in empty, small living rooms, the do-it-yourself grooveshark DJs, the crowded apartment, running into friends in costume in close spaces and small kitchens.

The apartment sorting and cleaning has begun. Regardless of where I am in two weeks, it will not be here. So, I've started the great sell off on Facebook and craigslist. I sold my TV, my bicycle, a bunch of stuff. And we've sent a lot of stuff to Goodwill as well.

Saori and Dew are taking off Sunday, so time is flying by. I still need to reserve a storage unit in town.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende