Nov 1, 2013

Culinary thursdays

Trouble sleeping last night. Only got a few hours in. Dragged myself out of bed early to drive mom to work, felt like a drugged man. I was not at my most chipper.

Sent some emails in the local hunt and then Larry and I drove to pick up mom for lunch. We went to the Phoenix College Culinary Cafe, the restaurant in the school where the students prepare your meals and serve you (and pay for the privilege to do so). Except they just changed the name to Café Oso since The Culinary Café just didn't sound grown-uppy enough I guess.

The name fit the restaurant well though. It's actually just another large room in the school building. Although they introduced some more sophisticated lighting, its still hanging from a lay-in grid ceiling, and all the tables, chairs, windows, etc are institutional like they came out of my high school.

They did attempt to decorate it up with the usual "fine dining" accoutrements, including soft classical music (although I swear they were playing the "100 greatest classical songs!" CD). Mom said it best when she said the service was willing [but clumsy, and inexperienced]. Our waiter had a tendency to slam down glasses and drop silverware.

The food was pretty good, they bake their own focaccia and baguettes, and while I was falling asleep in the quiche, the seared scallops were perfectly done. The house made cake and cheesecake was good. For about $10, it is a set menu that is hard to beat.

Drove down to Ahwatukee to pick up moms car, and stopped by Michaels to pick up paint and silk flowers for the Dia de Los Muertos altar. Came home, crashed, and was barely cognizant of Larry taking off to go pick up mom. My body dragged itself out of bed again and dove into the convertible with socks and shoes in hand. Trying to clear the cobwebs from my head, I explained I needed to go to a symposium at the Phoenix art museum. There was a symposium on Xul Solar y Borges.

There, I ran into my old ASU prof. Jose Bernardi who was happy to see me there for his talk and insisted we get together for lunch sometime. After the lecture, I jumped on a bus south and ended the night walking back the mile and a half from central, stopping for Taco Bell on the way back.

You know, its really not as good as I remember it. I'm not trying to be a taco snob here, I'm not comparing it to anything I had in Mexico. I'm just saying that compared with a theoretical hard shell taco filled with meat and cheese and tomatoes, Taco Bell tacos kind of fall short.

The new shoes wore blisters on back of my ankles. One of them bled considerably through my socks.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende