Nov 4, 2013

Slightly badass

Sunday we went shopping again, because outlet malls. I ended up buying a pair of running pants for Germany because I might run in Germany in the cold. At any rate, they're useful for wandering around in if it's cold in apartments.

At a Wilson's Leather, I came across some fanny packs on sale. Of course, they weren't labeled fanny packs. They were "lumbar pouches." I can imagine the following conversation:

"niiiice fanny pack! I loved the 80s too."
"Ugh, shows how much you know. It's a lumbar pouch. They're great."
"Oh! oh. I'm so sorry. That is pretty nifty. I was just feeling insecure about my men's carry-all."
"What, your murse?"

Anyway. Later that afternoon I did my run climb run workout, where I ran 1.5 miles to the mountains, jogged/climbed up into south mountain and down again, and then jogged back to the house. It's a pretty grueling workout, although the last fifteen minutes of running down the mountain, nimbly picking my way down stone steps and rocks and turns, was a bit touchy. My knees are actually not sure about this whole "getting back to running" thing although my legs and lungs and heart seem to be on board.

Today I ran some errands, shopped for Mexican food night and ate tacos for lunch at the Pro's Ranch Market. I also picked up some new light switches at the Ace Hardware. I always feel a bit badass when I'm those stores. Hell yes, I do a bit of light electrical work. You should see me install lighting fixtures, bitch!

The previous tenant of the house swapped out the bathroom light switch with a motion sensor on a five minute timer. The problem is most people tend to close to the shower curtain when they shower, and so when you get to the point of shampooing your hair, the room is plunged into pitch black darkness, and you have to pull back the shower curtain and wave to get the lights back on. So I swapped those out today.

For my weekly Mexican dinner, I made burritos de chile colorado. The chile de colorado was actually kind of fun to make- I took 8 dried california chiles, seeded and deveined them, lightly scorched them in a dry, hot fry pan, and then soaked them in hot water for 30 minutes, which reconstituted them. The resulting puree with some of the reconsititution water, onion, and garlic, was a beautiful deep red and smelled wonderful. I cooked it all down with pork for an hour until the pork was tender, and then ladled it into some big northern flour tortillas (this dish is a nod to the borderlands) and threw on some cheese and wrapped it all up. Good stuff.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende