Nov 4, 2013

The Bright Lights of Gilbert, Arizona

I don't remember how we got started on this, but I've been having a lot of "what is a hipster" conversations with mom and Larry. I finally turned mom loose on a string of youtube clips about hipsters and that seemed to settle it.

Saturday afternoon, I went out and ran 8K in a big loop along the canals. It's the farthest I've run since I started running again, and it was definitely challenging. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be though. I think all the walking I did every day at altitude helped, but all of the benefits from the increased hemoglobin should have disappeared by now. I might be going too hard on my knees though, so I should take a rest for a bit.

After a quick shower, I joined mom and Larry in the truck and we set out for old town Gilbert. Old town Gilbert is a strange place. On the one hand, it is quite literally one short main street with a few shops on either side and a water tower, surrounded by scraggly agricultural fields and a sparse smattering of small, old houses. On the other hand, there are three very popular restaurants which cater to very different lifestyles, facing each other on different corners.

At 6pm on a saturday night, it was hard to find parking, and every one of them were packed. We got real lucky with the timing, since a gap appeared at the bar at Liberty Market and it just fit the three of us. Actually, it only fit two, but I was comfortable standing. We split a pizza for a light supper and ordered drinks.

We were actually there for the play "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" at the Hale Theater, a highly acclaimed community theater in the round off of the main street. The theater held a very different crowd than the restaurants we were leaving. An older crowd. Much older. Lots of heavyset men in their 60s in shorts. Mom and Larry were probably towards the bottom quintile in their age, and there were probably less than five people my age or younger in attendance.

The show was fun, light. There was the obligatory local reference. The dancers were good, the plot moved along, the leads were good (really, the show is all about the two leads), but the music and songs are eminently forgettable. By the time you pull out into the road back home, you can't even hum any of the themes.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende