Apr 7, 2005

Kind of a crummy day

Well, got to bed last night around one after working on the architecture project, a regular bedtime now, and was promptly woken up at 7:30 AM by American Express to tell me that they couldn't verify my card. I was so tired I didn't even remember what they said. Anyway, as I had to be up at 8:00 to get ready for my 8:40 class, I just got up. I did talk to mom which was really nice as I don't get to communicate with my family enough. Anyway, I left without breakfast and got to class to see the teacher not show up. We have this great coordinator, a professor smurf, who got confused about his own schedule as to when the project was due, then announced last class that today's' class was canceled, thinking our project was due next monday. This guy is always making these kind of mistakes and then holding us accountable for what's written in his handout, so my architecture group decided he'd realize his mistake then come. I guess he figured since most people wouln't come, he wouldn't, either.
With no time to waste, I walked to a nearby art store and bought twenty dollars of basswood and chipboard for my model. I left it on top of a locker, all but hidden from view less than two inches from the ceiling and went to my 9:40 class, a lecture this time on "Wood: Our Friend" in structures for two and a half hours.
I had waffles for lunch after I got back and packed my model and other supplies into my portfolio case and walked to school early to catch an Architecture Student Assoc. meeting at 12:30. I passed one of my friends in third year coming the other way who informed me that the meeting was actually at noon, the email I read being incorrect. So I talked to another person in my studio while I waited for the 1:40 studio and realized the chipboard I bought was not going to work for my base anyway, as the thickeness was wrong. I would have returned it, had I not cut it in the store waiting for class. The basswood bundle had also been taken, apparently much too visible. The studio instrcutor gave us his ten minutes of "ASU program sucks, your craft sucks and I spit on your presentation skills" speech and then let us free to get to work. At least we dont have to stay in studio. I walked home.
Upon reaching my apartment, I drove directly to the art store Utrect and bought the correct chipboard I needed. The next two hours I spent precisely cutting through the double ply to get 12 identical sheets of the right size and shape. I still need to actually make the elevation change cuts, but that can wait for tomorrow. After I did the cuts, I made a formwork and poured a test concrete wall I colored red with powdered pigment. It's actually a nice shade of Tucson red.
To my shame, I must confess I spent nearly thirty minutes hanging out with Jen wating for the concrete to cure. I ordered a pizza and was able to eat three slices before we were due at Salsa class. I forced myself to focus on getting the dance routines right until it ended at 9:40 and we left for home. At least we ended practicing merengue, my favorite dance (the one with the least complicated footwork).
Ben recommended we watch some SNL and I though hey, I could use a little SNL. So I invested an hour in recuperation watching the best of Phil Hartman (Unfrozen Cave Man Lawyer). Something about one of the sketches, Cooking with the Anal Retentive Chef, just triggered me and I just laughted hysterically, until tears streamed down my cheeks. Just needed something to release the stress I guess. Anyway, Dinner with Sally tomorrow, the birthday girl and ONE CLASS.... AT 12:15.... LAST CLASS OF THE WEEK.... I love Thursdays.

1 comment:

Nancy Case said...

Like the new blog look! Is it your spring makeover?

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende