Aug 17, 2005

Alec, the Librarian

All the freshmen are moving in, and you can see them everywhere with thier parents: On campus, moving into dorms, at Target, and at Safeway. It's funny and touching to watch them, parents sending thier kids away, trying to give them all the last minute advice about college, like they were never going to see them again, and buying all kinds of useless junk for thier dorm rooms. Target is really on the ball this season with a full kitchen boxed set for forty dollars, including pots, pans, knife block, cooking utensils, collanders, and salt and pepper shakers.

I bought some storage bins for my winter clothes and misc stuff. Yesterday, I hit TJ Maxx and picked up a few new button up shirts. IZOD, Perry Ellis, and a brand I'd never heard of. Jen looked at birds and bird cages, and we went around to Petco, PetsMart, and Birdworld. Birdworld is a huge store with tons of birds and cages including a macaw, a few parrots, a toucan, and a bunch of other birds. Jen bought a cage and a baby hand-fed parakeet and named it Lola. It's a pretty bird, and seems stock-still scarred of its new surroundings. Sugar, Jen's parent's dog, don't help to relax it. It'll just take some time.

Today, I went in to interview for the position at the ASU architecture library. The supervisor is a very interesting guy. He always dresses immaculately in a black suit, and has a very sunken weathered face, with long black hair. Add a top hat and he'd make a very somber undertaker.
He's nice enough though, and he really didn't ask me any questions. He took Molly's recommendation of me very seriously. I filled in a few forms, and he showed me around the library. I got the job.
The job is ideal. I am to work at the desk, shelve books, and occationally work on special library projects like cataloging special collections. It looks like I'm going to be working about 15 hours a week, most of that time I'll probably spend studying at the desk, which is fine with him.

Two days ago, my birthday/upper division enterance present arrived via UPS. Dad picked out a docking station for my laptop and a new monitor. The docking station is cool since all I have to do is stick my in my laptop, and it automatically connects to my USB lines, monitor cables, and LAN internet cables.
The monitor is amazing. It's a 19 inch screen, brilliant bright colors, and I can move my mouse from one screen to the other, allowing me to see multilple open windows at once. Really cool.

1 comment:

Nancy Case said...

Congratulations on the new job!

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende