Aug 19, 2005

Art (walks) and Architecture (meetings)

Yesterday, I got up early and went to my upper division architecture meeting. I was surprised to see so many people there, until I realized they combined our class with that of the upper division landscape planning for this meeting. From here on in, its just going to be us and they're going to do thier own thing. The meeting was about two hours long, half of it was a welcome lecture by the new director, Petrucci. Right now the college is going through a transitional phase. Instead of the College of Architecture and Enviornmental Design, the college was renamed College of Design. Each section got thier own department head and we have a new director at each post.
Our new director had an interesting story about how he switched to architecture in college.
When he was going to Tulane, his dorm was separated out by floor by major, with architecture students on the top floor. One day, he was surprised to see a student standing stark naked out on the ledge screaming that it was judgement day. The director assumed he was just a religious fanatic (although all the architecture students in the audience knew what he was talking about). The poor guy jumped.
Intrigued by what was going on, he went upstairs and looked around the rooms and studios. The model making, and drawing that was going on put the hook in him, and he quit his premed studies. He ended up getting his BArch from Tulane and two masters from Harvard, the second in urban planning.

The second part was logistical stuff and stuff concerning international travel, internships, etc. We were assigned to our studios, but I'd never heard of any of the professors teaching them. Monday is the first day of classes, and that's when we get to pick desks. Hopefully, we'll avoid the mad petty rush which characterized the interior design girls.

That night, I went with Jen and her parents to the downtown Scottsdale art walk. It's still outrageously overpriced, and the only decently priced artwork is "gliche" or printed by a large format printer on canvas. I did see a gallery that had some russian stuff in it like the ones I saw at the Tetrakov in Moscow. They had a nice one of the Nodichevy convent covered in snow. When the gallery owner asked me why I liked it, they didn't belive that I'd actually been there. Afterwards, we all got ice cream at the Sugar Bowl.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende