May 26, 2006

Corrugated dreamship

Work is going well- last week Jeremy took me to a meeting at the Mesa Fine Arts Center and we had a meeting with a contractor and the Mesa arts board to finish a little project inside the theater. It was an interesting experiance seeing how all the team players come togather and interact, and how everything is made very very clear with communication as to the roles of each party. The firm had designed the arts center, so after the meeting, Jeremy gave me a tour. Pretty cool. I came up with a new design for the condos so that was sent to the city of scottsdale with one of Jeremy's schemes, so we should see some action on that fairly soon. Today in the gap of waiting to hear back, I wandered into another project designing a police station for ASU. They're pretty far along with only minor details in the design to change. But they need to create a massive collection of details and write up all the specificiations. Essentially the spec book is a super massive manual of what peices to use where. So next week I'm going to be preparing a sketchUp model and presentation to show the designated architecture guy at ASU.

Today was a busy day. I got off of work at 11:30 and came back home, got my paycheck from the library, deposited that with the hard cash I got from Aldo paying me back for the apartment in Buenos Aires deposit, and then I looped around to downtown Gilbert to pay the deposit on the electric bill and get it officially changed over to my name. Aldo will just pay me for utilities. While I waited for the APS people to get back from lunch, I had my own lunch, having skipped breakfast. This desertopolis is a serindipidous place- the part of Gilbert I was in was dominated by pickup trucks and victoriana. They're really playing it up in the old buildings. Gilbert was, and still is to an extent, a farming community, and its kept that feel to it, almost like Ponca city. Even the people seem a lot more country folky. Had lunch in a building which housed a safeway back in the 1920's. It's a barbeque place and I got a bbq brisket sandwich, sweet corn, and homemade rootbeer. Good bbq and tons of seating, inside, outside, and in the arizona room. Joes Real BBQ, is what it was called I beleive. None of that fake stuff here, no sir.

Anyway, got some more administrative stuff done and cleaned my room and the kitchen. Ben's dad and brother are here now, helping Ben pack his stuff up. I've already reconnected the net in my room. Strange days are upon us. I really have a ton of stuff. Even when I start consolodaitng, and getting rid of half of my books, I'm still left with an entire bookshelf of them.

I think work is taking its toll on me. It's ten o'clock and I'm ready to hit the sack. My ciccadian rhythms are going to go crazy. Right now its finally getting adjusted to going to bed at ten and getting up at six. After work is over and I around the world, I'll hit it with a dose of jet lag, and then in Buenos Aires, the nightlife don't even get going before 3 am. So we'll see. It, like all things, will be a test of my adaptability and resourcefulness.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende