May 21, 2011

Cityscraped

I caught a ride into Tempe with mom today and worked my way downtown by walking and lightrail. My objective was the replacement of Patiots square park, Phoenix's downtown public plaza. Patriots square was underutilized partially because downtown was so depopulated. Its really difficult to have a living city where nobody actually lives. However, as an advocate for public space, I don't think ripping the entire thing out and replacing it with a shopping center was a great idea. I understand that it is a means of attracting people to the downtown, but this thing is an island, focusing inward around two small plazas. It's very cut off from the city around it, save for the street which cuts through the center of it. Surround it with parking, and it could be anywhere in the metro sprawl. It's also extremely targeted- this was a public space that was for everyone which has been transformed and redeveloped into a space for upper-middle-class 20-40 year olds. There's a Lucky Strike bowling alley/lounge, very hipster, along with stand up comedy club instead of a movie theater, and an urban outfitters. It's Mill avenue wrapped around itself. The boutique hotel opens later this year, as does the gourmet grocery store which will sell $5 jars of imported mustard.

I'm probably more acutely aware of the social implications of public space than most people, so it bothers me when I see public space being replaced with private space. Even on this saturday morning, I was watched by the security guard patrolling the perimeter, while a posted list of regulations detailed what was permissible in this space. A not so subtle reminder that you are here by the grace of your wallet and are liable to deportation if you appear otherwise. I guess I'm just an advocate for the city being for everyone, because really everyone is contributing to the city, and to throw up something like Cityscape tells the other 80% of the population they don't really matter.

Anyway, went back to Tempe and got an Arizona Peach beer at Four Peaks. If you asked me what my favorite beer was, I'd have to ask you "when?" Today was a really hot, dry, sunny day in the mid-90s, and sitting in the cool shade of the bar, and drinking the cold pint of the golden, slightly hoppy, fresh, and hint of peach beer was incredible. It's the only place to get it in the world, and I'm not upset because its also the best conditions to be drinking it in.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende