May 24, 2011

Party at Mom's

Got up around 5 am yesterday morning and dropped mom off at the airport. She's flying to Florida to check out apartments. I dropped her off at the bus pick up for the terminal off of Washington- with my limited experience driving, it seemed like a much more palatable idea than driving into the airport. There is some irony to the fact that the airport, which was initially designed to reduce the distance between the car and the airplane, has simply created a very complicated and confusing traffic situation.

I drove back home, the first time to drive stick solo, and crashed. In bed.

It feels really weird to have mom's place to myself. I almost feel like I'm sixteen with my parents gone for the night, like I'm going to watch R-rated movies and eat ice cream, or do some kind of mischief.

Got up around ten and ran a few errands before meeting Tay and Britt at George and Dragon for a pint and some pub grub. Later, I met up with my coworker and her husband at their new guest house/condo for dinner. It was great to see them and she made  a really really good okonomiyaki, which is a Japanese dish, kind of like a cabbage, noodle, and egg pancake with various meats.

Afterwards, Tay and Britt came over to mom's house and we drank some wine and played a lot of cards. They stayed over, and in the morning after Tay woke up at 11, he made us a wonderful breakfast/brunch of french toast. Surprisingly good, actually. The rest of the day was predictably lazy. We did get out to run a few errands, and then I cooked everyone sausage jambalaya (from a box, but still good) for dinner before they took off.

Tonight I worked on my urban books application- there's a very popular elective in the fall which is made of art and architecture students which is kind of a sketching studio that makes a book with the subject of St.Louis. This year, apparently there were so many applicants, that they instituted an application system, where you have to submit a page of work and a paragraph saying why you want to take the class and what your expectations are. I figure I've got a good chance since I've already overheard people saying "applying for an elective? forget about it!" (at least, I'm hoping that the application will keep a lot of people from applying).

I also started watching Fullmetal Alchemist which is required otaku no anime. It's waaay to easy to watch entire seasons of things with Netflix, and this thing has about fifty episodes. I watched eight of them tonight, they are actually only about 20 minutes long, but they're kind of disturbing, not a great thing to watch right before you go to bed. Which is part of the reason why I'm writing this after 2 am.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende