Jan 28, 2012

Bridge to the weekend

I think I'm 90% over my cold or whatever it was. I thought I was out of the woods yesterday, but then I was hit with this nausea, headache, and 'malaise' (medical term for "feeling like crap") and I had to miss my Grasshopper class. This really sucks because the class is primarily technical, and I need to learn the techniques! However, Dew has offered to show me again what we learned.

I am feeling much better today- the throat is much better at any rate, much less froggy, and I'm optimistic that before the weekend is out, I'll be back to 100%

This past week in studio has been fairly low key- primarily reading and research into the history of Florence. I'm still debating about going there as a field trip. However, at the end of class yesterday, our instructor told that for monday, he wants to see two books on the subject. Small books, yes, but book designs nonetheless. 'Dummys' of the real final project due a week from monday. 13 copies, so everyone in studio gets one. (was Judas one of the 12 apostles or was he the 13th?) Anyway.

Last night, we were planning on going out to a bunch of gallery openings downtown and in Grand Central, but Saori needed to cut some stuff for studio, and Suki and ourselves needed feeding, and it was Saori's mom's birthday so she needed to skype her, so we didn't end up getting out until after 10.

Ended up going out to Bridge in downtown, which is a really nice bar- basically a wine bar but for beer (although they also sell wine). About 40 beers on tap, plus another 60 bottles. Saori picked up a really esoteric Japanese alcoholic ginger beer, and I got a draught of some 4Hands American Red, and a Unibru Grand Cru. I really liked the 4Hands- really bitter. And it's made in St.Louis, if I can find the brewery. The Grand Cru was like the Darth Vader of beer- a extra strong dark Belgan ale. 11% ABV, malty, but with the crispness of the high alcohol content. Too strong, too dark for me. 11% is stronger than Nyquil.

Of course, the nice thing about Bridge is that they serve beer in four sizes, 4 oz, 12oz, and two larger sizes. So you can really taste a lot of beer if you want. You can basically customize your own flights. Food was pretty good too- snacking bits. We left a little after midnight. We were lucky to get a table at 10 actually.

So much work to get done this weekend....

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende