Jan 22, 2012

Design Thinking - Week 1

This semester I'm enrolled in a class called Design Thinking, which is supposed to frame the problem to be explored in the final semester as the final project of graduate school. It is like a thesis is in that it is the capstone project, a major final requirement, and largely self-directed, but there is not usually a written component.

Anyway, our first assignment is to write a 100 words on a topic/concept we're interested in pursuing, pick three words, and 'curate' a series of images which interest us which should relate to the concept.

My first idea for three words were

Repetition
Repetition
Repetition

but then I thought it was a bit to predictable. So then I considered:

Repetition
Repetition
Anomaly

Which has more interest, but I don't think they'd let me do that.

The three words need to be selected from a particular book. There are about 60 kids in the class. There is one copy of the book in the library. Design Thinking has been around for over five years. One might think that the school would perhaps want at least a second copy.

The book in question, A Metapolis Dictionary of Advanced Architecture, is highly suspect because it simultaneously claims to be a dictionary and uses made-up words in the title. There are more made up words inside, but we were asked to peruse this book and pick three words which seemed to fit our concepts. My words are:

atexural
metastitial
perichaos

Not really. But I think some of those words are in the book. I've actually written my 100 words around the idea of porosity.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende