Jan 11, 2012

the mastermind

Yesterday started at 5AM, when my ancient nemesis, Jet Lagg, strode into my bedroom and violently threw me out of bed.

I got a lot done though- swung by the bank, paid bills, went grocery shopping to restock on everything, set up some financial stuff for the semester at my investment company, worked on a spreadsheet of finances for the rest of the year (do I want to graduate broke, with less debt? or take on more debt and save a bit for job hunting? Do you feel lucky, punk?), organized the apartment a bit, and watched some TV while I did a load of laundry and put it away.

I've been traveling for over 20 days, and I haven't slept in the same bed for more than four consecutive days. I've ping ponged at breakneck speed from St.Louis to Oklahoma City, to Orlando, to London, to Bath, and spent time in about five or six other cities, villages, and towns along the way. And yet, less than 24 hours after I arrive in St.Louis, I'm wandering around at home, trying to make up an excuse to get out of my apartment.

I ended up meeting a friend of mine for a drink at Three Kings, a pub-ish place in the Loop. Good draft beer selection. There, we ran into a group of people we knew who had just graduated and we joined them for a drink, and finally we were joined by my roommate, who was also part of that same group of recent grads.

They're excellent designers all of them, but none of them have that architecture job yet. However, they're still upbeat, they sound ready to throw themselves into the job search after this winter break, and there's a sense of good humor mixed with fatalism. We joked a lot about the "the heist" we were going to commit, "just enough to pay back the student loans, and take a small vacation afterwards."

It's useful and a little scary to see how short the distance of one year will run. I need to really start looking forward and envisioning where I want to be a year from now, and from there, start thinking about how I can get there. After all, I was designated
'The Mastermind'

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende