Dec 20, 2013

$13 haircut

First night in Neri made osso buco for us. After dinner, I went to bed to work on Rise and Fall of the Third Reich and Tay stayed up late to work on his paper. It's interesting that Tay and I have such divergent hours. Over the course of our college lives, we've actually swapped once or twice, depending on our respective schedules. Right now though, I'm still on Phoenix mom's house time where I was usually up for First Cat Breakfast at 6:30am, and got to bed before midnight. Tay, on the other hand, goes to bed around 3-4am, and gets up close to noon.

Yesterday, after I got up, I walked nearly 2 miles to an art store, stopped by a donut shop for a donut (also run by southeast Asians) and walked home before Tay got up and around.

Once Tay was up and around, he drove us to the Galleria mall to go shopping. We were in the hunt for watches and topcoats, for Tay. Tay's been looking for both for awhile, although he's very particular about what he's looking for. For what he's willing to spend on them, he should be.

After the mall, we ran by a coffee shop, Catalina Coffee, not far from the house. Really good coffee. I poked my head into the hipster barber shop next door and asked how much for a haircut. Thirty bucks. Took a pass.

Hugo's for dinner. Bad headache on the way and before dinner. I got a very savory mole de olla and an order of chicken flautas. It was all pretty good although the kitchen was unwilling or unable to serve my taquitos agohados style. They were, of course, incredibly polite about it.

Today because of some scheduling conflicts, Tay needed the car, so he dropped dad off at work and drove to the dentist. I walked down the street and got a haircut at a local barber shop. Even though I was early, there was a line when I got there and a longer line when I left.

The barber shop is in a small house, a father and son joint. It's a local joint, people greet the barbers by name when they come in. It's a guy's place, complete with pinups and whisky ads on the wall, sports magazines. It's also, notably, cheap joint. My haircut cost me $13.

$13. Shit, even CornerCutters hits you up for close to a $20 these days.
It's a lot shorter now. It makes me look like I might even be employed.

Today, after Tay got back from the dentist, he drove us over to go grocery shopping at a small Hispanic store. Wasn't exactly a Ranch Market. But then there wouldn't be one around here. Got what I needed though, mostly a pound of tomatillos.

The enchiladas turned out not bad. Wish I'd had chicken stock, and the tortillas were not the freshly made ones.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende