Dec 3, 2013

cafe de olla

Today, all I did was drink heavily and pass out on the floor, until I was rudely awakened by one of the cats peeing on me.

Haha, just a joke. Barely. Today was a day of limited productivity. There is something about empty days which encourages the exploration of expansiveness, especially in cooking where so much has been taken out or condensed or prepackaged for your convenience. I've had coffee many ways and in varying levels of convenience, from dumping instant coffee into hot water to pod coffee which is ready is about 60 seconds, including the time it takes to track down a coffee pod.

Today I made cafe de olla (Mexican-style pot coffee), which you brew slowly on a stove. You put coarse ground coffee in a stovepot with water, dark brown sugar (or piconcillo if you have it), and a cinnamon stick, and slowly heat it to boiling before covering it for five minutes and letting it finish steeping. It's best with dark roast coffee, preferably Mexican, and there's something about the sweet and cinnamon flavor which goes well with cold weather seasons.

I made progress towards finishing the CAD drawings for the site plan for downtown to be drawn onto our site model. I probably spent an hour to two hours reading more of The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich and also spent about an hour studying German. Finally made it past the shiesse accusative pronouns.

I ate a bowl of cereal and some leftover cinnamon sticks from last night's pizza dinner. For lunch, I ate the leftover pizza. For dinner, I made a salad with what we had in the fridge and dumped the leftover chili on top of it. Mom and Larry seemed to like it. It was actually pretty good.

Did some sketching, and roughed in the last cat in the series I'm painting.

Oh, and I took a shower and shaved. Now, at least I don't look like a homeless vagabond.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende