Dec 18, 2013

Holiday Spirit

Sitting in the waiting area at Sky Harbor Airport. For the second time in a year, I'm once again leaving Phoenix. The last time I was here, I had just sold my car and was heading off to Mexico. It would be nice to have a direct flight, but I'm actually changing plans in Denver. I am flying Spirit, named after the Spirit of Parsimony. It could also have been named after the Spirit of Inquiry Into How Much Passengers Will Pay for Tickets. My plane ticket, purchased around 3 weeks out during the Christmas season, (although for a wednesday, which is a low rate), cost me $70 and gets me to Houston. However, it does not cover my luggage.

My two checked bags cost me $70, and that's only because I purchased the bags before I checked in online. I have no carry ons apart from my backpack. I spent all morning, actually, carefully culling my stuff and packing two suitcases and jamming my backpack. I could have probably taken a carry on duffel for an additional $30, but I decided against it. Probably should have done it since I left behind some summer clothes, but who knows when I'll actually get over to Germany.

I arrived in Phoenix in the middle of October. Discounting the first week as 'vacation' with Tay, what happened to those 8 weeks? What did I accomplish or get done?

Starting from basically nothing, I now consider myself to have at least a basic understanding of German. I can say, "This is my sister. Her soup is on the table. It is good, but it is salty." Plus the usual greetings and basic phrases.

I did a lot of hiking and a bit of running so at least I feel like I kept in shape after all the walking I did in Mexico City. I climbed many of the peaks of South Mountain.

I made some arts and crafts stuff and developed my skills as a painter.

I saw a lot of my old friends from high school, college, and work, and went to my 10 year high school reunion.

I developed and submitted a proposal for a donut shop in downtown Phoenix, and found out recently that the owner is interested in pursuing the concept around the corner.

I worked with Richard and another one of his friends to develop a conceptual project for downtown.

I applied to many architecture firms in Europe.

I practiced Mexican cooking a la Rick Bayless, and built up a few recipes. It makes me happy to think that when people think of "What is Alec's speciality?" they think of "Mexican food." I got a really good margarita recipe and a killer guacamole recipe in addition to my "famous" chicken enchiladas. I made, from basic ingredients, chile rellenos with brothy tomato soup, which was easily the most challenging dish I've tackled.

How do I feel leaving Phoenix? I am happy to be soon seeing dad and Neri and Tay, and I am happy that I'll be spending Christmas with family. I am deeply discouraged at leaving Phoenix with no advances on Europe, and I am devastated and hollow that I will be spending Christmas apart from Saori. At this point, I have to say I have no prospects and I am no closer to finding work.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende