Dec 31, 2013

Guns and Donuts

Bullet-related deaths: 30k
Obesity-related deaths: 300k

I am strongly in favor of gun control. In fact, I would criminalize the possession of all handguns and any weapon which can fire more than one bullet or shell without manually reloading.

Why am I for such strict control? While it is true that "people kill people," guns make it is incredibly easy and fast to do the absolutely worst thing possible, even accidentally. Same reason people aren't allowed to mount surface-to-surface missiles on their cars. It is a menace to the population, and full-disclosure, I have a vested interest in not being shot. I get into an argument at the donut store over who should get the last bearclaw, tempers flare, and boom, gut shot! My stomach acid spills into my chest cavity as I painfully die on the dirty tile floor in front of the french crullers and the moron with the revolver gets 30 years to life.

One may find it peculiar then, that given my vocal opposition to guns that I am such an ardent defender of donuts, given the fact that donuts are mostly fat and carbohydrates and obesity related deaths have surpassed nearly every other cause of death in the US. Jesus, Alec, I thought you liked people.

Undeniably, a diet heavy with fatty and sugary foods is a major contributor to the obesity crisis. Obesity is almost entirely related to diet and level of activity. But a donut does not a diet make. Obesity is a slow poison- it takes months to achieve an unhealthy lifestyle. Carl eats donuts daily. He doesn't exercise. He has to make a routine, a lifestyle, to become obese and in danger of premature death.

In contrast to thousands of donuts, it only takes one bullet to kill Carl.

And more importantly, no one has ever been killed by someone else buying and using a donut. My insistence on access to donuts does not endanger your life.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende