Dec 2, 2013

The Seven Habits of Highly Successful Warlords

According to my kindle, I'm 28% done with The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. I think if I had the 3" thick tome in paperback or hardbound, it would be incredibly intimidating. My kindle is about the thickness of a National Geographic magazine, which makes the weighty material feel more like I can just pick it up.

When my grandpa Case came to visit, he made me eat peas. I hate peas. Ok, he said, just eat one pea. Just one? I asked him. Just one. I ate one.
 Beaming at me, he said, ok, now just eat one again.

Reading on the kindle is kind of like that. It's really just one page at a time.

Anyway, I'm at the build up to Hitler's invasion of Czechoslovakia. Rise is one of those books I think everyone should read. For at least the first part, you can read it as an self-help or management book, albeit with an utterly depraved homicidal megalomaniac as the model.
The condensed version of The Seven Habits of Highly Successful Warlords
  1. Define your values. What is important to you? Whether it's a strong sense of ethnic identity, a burning hatred of Jews, personal recognition, or German military supremacy in Western Europe, write it down!
  2. Let your values define your goals. Dream big! Remember the old German adage- shoot for the moon: even if you fall short, you'll still probably hit England or France. If you're seeking a position as head of state, writing it down will help you figure out what you really want to do. Keep this list active. Over time, your priorities will change as you grow older, acquire new countries, subdue opposition, etc.
  3. Make a plan. Every day, keep your goals in mind and think, what can I do that will get me a little bit closer to my goals? Even if things don't go exactly according to the plan, you have something in place that you can use to build on later.
  4. Figure out who and what is standing in the way of your plans. The best way to get rid of an enemy is to make them a friend. The best way to get rid of potential enemies is to be disarmingly friendly and gain power over them so you can easily remove them later.
  5. Perseverance is everything! Failure is only failure if you stop trying. Setbacks, prison sentences for armed insurrection, failure at the polls: This is the world giving you lessons on how to do it better. Learn from your your mistakes and get back on that horse!
  6. The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing. Look where you're going and keep a wide view of the horizon, but never lose sight of your goals. Don't be distracted by short-term gains or losses. Be willing to lose the battle to win the war.
  7. Luck = Preparedness + Opportunity. Be prepared to strike when the opportunity arises. Do your homework, find out what is really going on, and who really controls the scenes. The more you know, and the more flexible you are, the more you will be able to turn opportunities your way. France and Britain both in the midst of a government reshuffle? If you didn't have a basic plan and the army ready at your command, Austria might have slipped right by you!

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende