Aug 7, 2006

First day of school

Last night, Aldo and I ened up going to a small cafe around ten. Aldo got some coffee and I got a dulce de leche crepe thing. It was so sweet I couldn't eat it. This is the sweetest, most intense caramel in the world. Aldo ordered what he throught was a decaf, but came in a very small cup with a shot of water with gas and a small pitcher of plain water. Even though he speaks spanish, it still took him a few tries to find out if there were free refills. Aldo has trouble with this language like all of us, and sometimes more because he doesnt know what local names are, local slang, idioms, or customs, and because he speaks spanish fluently, they expect him to know, and have less patience with him than with the rest of us.

I awoke to gray and rainy day in Buenos Aires at the nasty hour of 730. Dressed, and grabbed a quick cup of coffee with the grad students at the corner where we were supposed to meet. Claudio showed up as normal, and a group of three grad students who had stayed out till 600 never showed at all. We all walked to the Subte and took it up to the area where the college is, Universidad Torcuato di Tella (sp?). But most of our classes will be in their new architecture and business facility a few blocks away. Words cannot describe it well, so I'll save it for images. I regret my camera did not make the trip, as the rain really emphasized the mood of the place.
I'll leave you with that thought for until tomorrow-

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende