Aug 8, 2006

mas espanol

Sorry to dissapoint, but I forgot to bring my comptuer cable to hook my camera up. I love living in the city- the pace, the shopping, the energy, the cafes, the parks, almost everything. The major impediment to city life - the high cost of living- is so reduced here there seem to be very few drawbacks. However, a few irritations- they don´t believe in responsible dog walking here, so you have to be very careful where you step as there´s droppings all over the place. The school is located far from the city center, so to get to school its about a ten minute walk to the subte, a fifteen minute ride, and another 25 to 30 minutes of walking from the station. So that´s a pain. My spanish class is really hard. We´ve reduced our intermediate level class to 7 students out of the total of 25 students here. I´m still in but barely. I understand about half of what the porfessor is telling us, no english allowed in class, but the other class is like spanish 101. So today we studied characteristics and the use of vos. instead of tu in Argentina, and discussed our lives, preferancs, parents, etc. Their class learned about the national stew and basic introductions. I´m really in between both classes. either a 101 course or a 300 level course. I´m somewhere in the 200, so I´m trying to hang in there.

Last night, Aldo and I met Dusty at a local place called Cumena in Recolleta. It was packed at 8 which is amazing for buenos aires. All locals. Great food, empanadas and the traditional hearty stews from northern argentina. Bottle of Malbec to share. Good stuff. We stopped at an gelateria near the apartment and I got a limon, tasted great.

Today after class we picked up Saori and Molly and went to the cemetary at Recolleta. This is a bit like the ones in paris, with huge masusoleums everywhere in a massive high walled cemetery. We couldnt find Evita´s grave, but had fun anyway. Stopped at a cafe afterwards for tea, coffee, and medialunes- Argentine coissants. After that we found a mall devoted to interior design. It´s been a busy time here, this city literally never sleeps. During the weekends, people stay out until 6-7 am and sleep in past noon. It´s like a never ending party. I love these cities.

Anyway, I´m doing great over here, and thinking about how my friends and family would love different aspects of the city. Bunas nocahs

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having a great experience. Be careful!

Anonymous said...

Be very careful. I miss you. Josh said you looked great and were too much fun to be with. I hope to see you soon. Maybe you can teach me some spanish.

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende