May 7, 2012

48 hours after review

I'm still in a kind of post-presentation haze.

I presented last, which is kind of a showcase position as most studio reviews try to end on a high note, so I was pleased to have been selected as the closer. The other nice thing about it is that your nerves keep you on edge the entire day so after you present, you're done and you dont have to struggle to stay awake through the other reviews. It's not a criticism of the other projects, its just the fact that after four hours of sleep in two days, the simple act of sitting becomes a fight to stay awake, regardless of what is going on. 

After my review, I carried my stuff back up stairs, went home, and passed out for about four hours. I'd wanted to go out with my classmates and drink after everyone had had a nap, but only Freda was up for it, so we grabbed a beer at a bar in central west end, Brennan's Second Floor. It's a cigar bar, but the smoke was really not bad and its a very nicely scaled place. After a drink, we drove to Wal-Mart and I bought a fan and some ingredients for white sangria since its becoming that time of the year.

I dropped Freda off at her place and went back home to crash for another four hours. In the morning, I brought some stuff to Saori (who had basically been working in studio nonstop like a crazy person), took some photos of my models, and went over to Zeuler's place with my classmates.

Zeuler, our studio instructor, had invited us over for cookies and ice cream and he also served fresh mint tea and coffee. He has a beautiful apartment not far from campus, with lots of art, ceramics, music and bent plywood furniture. After a few hours of conversation we split up and made plans to meet up that night.

I came back to studio and helped Saori set up some lasercut files before heading back home to clean up. I met back in studio after making some macaroni and cheese and we carpooled out to three sixty, which is a really cool rooftop bar in downtown with a great view of the arch and the river. We were late, and as it was sunday, they kicked us out at 11, so we trucked it back to Moonrise in the loop.

It was a beautiful night, and our studio group grew and expanded to include some other friends and significant others, and we sat, and chatted, and laughed and drank and it was great. (I had one beer at the first bar, and one beer and one gin tonic at the moonrise, but sleep deprivation has a multiplier effect on alcohol.) I stopped by studio to see how Saori was doing, but I was too tired and too drunk to be any help, so I caught a ride home and slept for another four hour stretch.

Saori woke me up around seven to have me come and pick her up so she could shower and change and work at home for a bit before her presentation today. In a groggy haze, I drove to school and back, and mostly napped while she showered and worked. We got back to school around ten for her presentation and I basically hopped around studio reviews all day.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende