May 2, 2012

high and lows

A busy day of ups and downs.

Graduate degree project reviews began today. So my friends in DP are at the peak of excitement/nervousness/happiness/exhuastion, which is creates a really contagious atmosphere. It's far too easy to ride their wave of exhileration, and then it all comes crashing down on the shore of my project is still due saturday, and it's really not that interesting. Again.

Anyway, I saw Hiep, Zephyr, Pierre, and Shu present their work. Let me say that I stand in awe of their work- from the Heip's incredibly deft stictching of existing buildings and traffic, Zephyr's sublimely beautiful drawings and models, Pierre's conceptual daring and wit, and Shu's exceptional moments.

I feel so far from being able to do what they did, its very disheartening. I still don't know Rhino that well. I've never milled a model. I'm not comfortable with the laser cutter. Damning things like that. I can get proficient in Rhino over the summer, which I need to do anyway.

Tonight, I went to a M83 concert with Luke and Adam from my studio. They're kind of ambient emoish electronica rock. It's kind of like super-electrified and altered rock which goes between kind of synth soundscapes more about ambient texture to kind of soft, wavy things, to pure dance club techno. I was not that impressed with them live. It all seemed to be so much the same to me.

Coming down from the balcony in the middle of the crowded stairs, someone above vomited on me, getting in my hair, my glasses, my shirt. I'd lost Adam and Luke at that point, and I'd idiotically forgotten my cell phone at home today, so I was pretty shit out of luck. I cleaned off as much of the puke as I could in the bathroom and angrily walked back to school. I beat Adam and Luke there who drove back. I can walk pretty fast when I'm mad.

Drove home, took a shower, now about to eat. Then back to the studio and back to drawings to try to draw out the interesting bits of this project. Three more days and hopefully it will nudge the needle from SUCK to UNSUCK.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende