Feb 3, 2014

a not so exciting day

Today was not a very exciting day.

I practiced German, did some German homework, worked on a 3D model of the building downtown for the Phx Commons project. I was given the project files in Revit, but since my theoretical new job will be competitions based in Rhino, I built the base building in Rhino to brush up my skills.

Around one, I walked to the new donut shop on the corner for a bearclaw and a milk tea with boba. They were both pretty good. Two ladies came in, saw a late twenties-ish guy and assumed I was the owner or the manager. Nope. Reason #354 it's good to be employed- people look at you funny if you look like you should be working.

Anyway, it's about a three mile round trip to the donut shop and back, so hopefully it lessened the carbohydrate impact.

In studying German, it seems to me that everything becomes a lot easier when you start thinking in really old English and using very antiquated grammatical structure. How would Shakespeare say it? Wo kommen Sie her? literally translates to Where comes you from? In the numbering system, thirty-four is represented as vierunddreizig which is literally four and thirty. Don't think: "do you have a hat?" it's helpful to flip it into "Have you a hat?" which, incidentally, is precisely the way the Germans ask Hast du einen Hut?

Sold the bar today on Craigslist. The chairs will go tomorrow sounds like.

Pizza for dinner and we watched the final episode of Sherlock, which is really very good. It's a shame there's only three episodes in this season. With the production values, acting, writing, and a running time of about two hours, each episode is basically a feature film.

In a previous post, I was called out by a reader who corrected some thing I'd written regarding the Mormon temple in Gilbert. Re-reading the post, I winced a few times since I'd made some abrupt assumptions. I need to work on following the example of Robert Ingersoll and less of Richard Dawkins.
If abuses are destroyed, we must destroy them. If slaves are freed, we must free them. If new truths are discovered, we must discover them. If the naked are clothed; if the hungry are fed; if justice is done; if labor is rewarded; if superstition is driven from the mind; if the defenseless are protected and if the right finally triumphs, all must be the work of people. The grand victories of the future must be won by humanity, and by humanity alone. -Ingersoll

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende