Feb 4, 2014

Community college life

If I ever reach a point in my life when I am bored and lonely, I will sign up for one credit hour community college language classes. There are a lot of interesting people in my class. For one, these are people motivated to practice a language that is not going to help them locally. This means either they have family who are German, have a past of German study, or travel to Germany, all of which lead to other interesting questions.

One my classmates who is apparently an car electronics engineer drove up in a 1948 Bentley, in a shade of metallic eggplant purple called "oxblood".

The joke goes, what is the difference between a Rolls-Royce and a Bentley? About $300 and the grille.

After the interview where it sounded like they offered me the position, my celebration died down as I began to be filled with doubt- did they really offer me a position after one interview, and without even talking to the head of the company? Usually one needs at least a half dozen interviews with different companies to find a job. Although I attempted to clarify at the interview the status of the offer, it became more muddled to me as the week went on. Maybe they weren't supposed to offer me a job, maybe I misunderstood the whole thing, maybe I am just selected to continue in the job application process at this office! And no word or email confirming anything (of course, for a small architecture office, it is understandable that people will be very busy).

Anyway, I glumly sent an professional email to Germany asking him to confirm that yes, I did in fact get the position, half expecting to hear that there was some big misunderstanding. Less than a few hours later, he wrote me back saying that, yes they are working on getting the paperwork to bring me over. So that was a big relief. Of course, nothing is final until its final.

But it makes me feel better about doing my German homework.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende