Feb 5, 2014

Get Your Bachelor's Degree Sooner With This 1 Weird Trick!

Saori has problems with low blood pressure. Not often, but its low enough that she once in a long while will simply pass out. I remember one time she passed out and fell in the stairs of our school in Buenos Aires. I remember it distinctly because we were 'secretly' dating at the time and the person who found out she'd fallen it spread it around the classroom quickly and everyone looked pointedly at me. I quietly excused myself and went to go check on her where she was recovering.

A week or so ago, fighting her way through a mall in Stuttgart on a Saturday afternoon Saori felt lightheaded and immediately tried to rush to the Starbucks to get some caffeine to boost her system pressure. Apparently, in Germany all the stores are closed on Sunday, so every Saturday is the last one before Christmas, the place is packed. But on her way there, she passed a clothing store which advertised 70% off. She froze, and walked backwards three steps: step step step, and was drawn inside. She blacked out looking at a full rack of clothes because she thankfully fell into it and slid gently to the floor.

The paramedics were called but because the mall was so packed they couldn't fight their way through quickly. Saori quickly revived even before they got there and, entirely embarrassed, accepted the coffee that the saleswomen gave her. The emergency responders checked her out and gave her a written pass so that if she felt unwell after this, or if she showed any distressing symptoms, she could go to any clinic or hospital and bypass the usual waiting and check in procedures. She agreed with my assessment that the sale will still be there after you stabilize your blood pressure.

Today I got up early, revised a presentation for my Phx Commons client, and then got some requests for info from Thomas from the architecture company in Stuttgart. They wanted scans of my passport, and my bachelors and masters diplomas. I have my passport with me and a scan stored online, and actually doing some digging through the cloud, dug up my Masters. The problem was my missing Bachelors diploma.

I called ASU, my alma mater. "The website says it will take 4 to 6 weeks to get a replacement diploma," I said, "is there any way I can get that expedited?"

The phone rep replied, "You should be lucky to get your diploma in four to six weeks, it takes most people 4 to 6 years!"

No, she didn't actually say that. She asked for my address and then emailed me a quote. The good news is that I could get it in 1-2 days but I'd pay damn near $100 for the privilege. I've been running the numbers for my move to Germany and the picture is tight, especially the first two months I'm there, so I need to save as much money as possible.

I thought about it for not long: I need that diploma sooner rather than later. And it's a hell of a lot cheaper than asking a friend on the ground in St. Louis to dig through a frozen storage locker to hunt this thing down. I should feel lucky I'm getting off so easily. Mentally, I kicked myself for not already having a digital copy somewhere accessible.

Went hiking this afternoon in the Alta Trail. It's about five miles biking to the trailhead, and it's all uphill. Actually, I realized I was to tired to hike the full thing and only went in about an hour up, to reach the ridge before turning around and coming back down.

Bicycling back, whizzing downhill, I hear a strange sound. Two guys on skateboards are passing me. I'm flying down this road at probably 25 miles an hour. To their credit, both skaters are wearing full leather cycling outfits and motorcycle helmets. The palms of their gloves have heavy plastic pads to use as brakes I suppose. Still crazy.

Made guacamole for dinner tonight. It was really, really good. Note to self: 1/2 onion, 1 jalapeƱo, 1 cored tomato, 1 clove garlic, 12 sprigs cilantro, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 key lime juiced, and 3 large avocados or 5 small ones. Really quite exceptional guacamole.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende