Jan 17, 2006

First Day of School

I dropped the van off at the body shop this morning and biked to my first class at noon.

Latin American Design
This class is taught by Jose Bernardi, an Argentinian professor and architect. I was pleasantly surprised when he introduced himself to us individually before class. He's been preparing to do this class for the past three years and really excited about it. I think from now on I'm going to stick with classes with teachers who are really passionate about their subjects. They just end up being much better. Anyway, this class looks really facinating as it deals with understanding Latin American identity and influences along their history of design and architecture.

History of Architecture II ...Back to the History
A continuation from last semester's history of architecture, a fairly intense introduction to world architecture since 1200 AD up into modernity. We are fortunate have our professor reprise his role as orator, facilitator, and romaphile, although he lost about half of the students who are not architecture majors.

Structures II: The Engineering Strikes Back
Also reprising his role as Darth Contractor, we will be taught more stuctural engineering, focusing on wood construction, with more complex beam structures and collumns. Our textbook for this class, focusing on wood construction engineering, is more than two inches thick. The bookstore on campus sells it for $90, but I picked up an almost new copy online for $50.

Now I'm just working in the library, shelving books listening to my iPod, doing my readings for the Latin American Design class. There is one patron in the entire library. At least I get to work with Molly, a friend of mine from studio. Tomorrow comes studio.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende