Jan 13, 2006

The Night-Time Knocker

There is going to be some serious heck to pay in the apartment above mine. Last night, I was awakened by someone knocking at thier door around four in the morning. This knocking grew from a few polite knocks to a volley of hammering. The first mystery was, if you were concerned about waking your neighbors, why space it out and gently escalate the knocks over a long period of time? After about half an hour of knocking (there's NO ONE there or they're all passed out drunk) she gave up and fell instantly back to sleep. In the morning when I got up at about 9:30, there was an extremely miserable looking shoeless young woman sitting on the curb. I'll bet that night won't make her top ten. I lent her my phone so she could make a call before I went to work.

Work was predicably boring for the most part. I inventoried, catalogued, and began processing on all the damaged books we had behind us on the damaged shelf. The one supervisor is back after about two months in the hospital and recuperating at home from illness. He's as skeletal and talkative as ever. Always wears a black suit to work.

One of the other guys I work with who has been working there awhile got a promotion. He's now classified as "part-time staff" in charge of the periodicals. The only difference I see is he's wearing slacks and a button up shirt, and he gets to work on one of the computers in the back so library patrons can't interrupt his surfing guitar websites.

Later in the day, my history of architecture professor came in, and we talked a bit about the architecture history/theory cirriculum, which was interesting. Despite the fact that his last final exam was the hardest test any one of my friends had taken in years, he thought it was straightforward and easy. He also made a question involving a joke concerning "the parthenon" in Rome.

Anyway, picked up some chicken and biscuits at Safeway and had those for dinner. Should be good for a few more meals. Tomorrow, I'm heading out for more habitat work. At least they're having us meet down there at 8:30 instead of earlier.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende