Jan 31, 2006

Aggravation

For our benefit, the school of architecture set up a meeting where they would discuss with us all the requirements and information about our summer internships. They helpfully arranged to have it in late January in order to save us the mental strain of having more than a month to worry about getting internships. Finally, to be politically correct as possible, they adopted a non-western nonlinar chronological approach to schedule it, changing the time and date of the meeting twice in the the 48 hours before the meeting. For those who us who are not absurdists, they helpfully sent out an email two hours before the meeting letting us know that it was today, and not friday.

The astute reader will by now realize, this blogger did not make said meeting. Not to fret! Apparently, the meeting was mainly an amalgamation of personal questions, trivialities, and the like. I borrowed the paperwork from a friend when I came into studio (notified of the meeting by the sign on the door). Nothing too complicated. However- if I want to work in the valley, it means I MUST sign up for the lottery. If I want to work elsewhere, I have to have that all arranged by march 1st. I think I may be in the lottery. I'll have to talk to Rena about it.

In structures, our instructor talked about loads moving through buildings from the walls up to the roof, and reacting against the shear walls. He said at one point "You all can think in 3D, so imagine yourself in the building. Think to yourself 'If I were a load, where would I go?'" Anyway, my favorite quote of the day.

Picked up my aeroflot tickets from London to Moscow today. I felt excited just carrying them. Travel is the joy of my life.

At work tonight I hopped on the internet and looked up unfamiliar architects and buildings and histories in latin america along with our readings for my latn american design class. Finally found the guy Professor Bernardi told me about- Ricardo Castro, a Colombian professor who writes about the connection between Magic-Realism in latin american literature and modern architecture in that area. Apparently the pre-Hispanic culture (Aztecs, Incas, etc) used side entrances, instead of the western entrace along the axis. The person enterng teh building would slide into it, gradually uncovering its secrets and delights as it unfolded. He was of the opinion that a simple monumental structure would get boring with time, while really good architecture was constantly blossoming and revealing itself- architecture which seems surreal, in turn creating an awareness or belief in the magic of the everyday life.

Tip For Mom: This is a good theme in 100 Years Of Solitude, writen (surprise) by another Colombian.

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING EXPRESSES AN CULTURAL OPINION, LIKE ALL THE OTHER CRAZY OPINION BLOGS WHICH VEHEMENTLY PROTEST THINGS LIKE TOE SOCKS OR GARTH BROOKS.

I was biking home tonight thinking about the conservatism of our generation. One might say that our moderate conservatism is a reaction against the radicalism of the baby boomers, but I was suddenly struck by the thought that perhaps the gen-x and gen-y generation are more conservatve because ITS MORE CONVIENANT TO DO SO. We know we're the generation of convienance, cynicism, and instant gratificiation. Why dont we take a stand on issues? Because we're too lazy and socially comfortable. We'd rather play on our xbox 360's instead of protesting outside. The Establishment and the Sytem are our friends and allies. We use them, work within thier frameworks because they are refined, and easy to use. There aren't any more real social upheavals, and the disenfranchiezed in society either don't know or don't care. The internet is really the outlet of our generation's few frustrations. One can wear the mask of anonymenity (and use spellcheck for that matter) and rant and rave in the language of 1s and 0s. Who's still out there, Marching for a Cause? Ten to one, a boomer. We dont want to fight the establishment. They give our lives order, tell where we fit, and what to do. The cynic takes care of the rest. Why no gen x and y outcry over the existance of US secret interrogation camps? or of illegal wiretaps on private citizen's phones? Because we're not surprised by either one. Ok I'll get off my soap box.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende