Feb 2, 2006

Glory and the Long Road Home

Busy day yesterday- picked up some more basswood at ACE in the morning before going into studio. In class I drafted a new cross section I'd been thinking about, and built a 2" long section of that bridge. Turned out very cool. In fact, when I was talking about it with our studio instructor, he liked it so much he called everyone in the studio over to take a look. He pointed out how well the program requirements were taken care of in the most minimal way possible, while still having a kind of powerful poetry. Only, there were a few minor details that were problems- the main one being that my timber truss that the walking surface rests on was 4', and it needs to be 6' deep to make the span. This not only throws the proportions off for the rest of the bridge, but it also gives me a bigger headache at the ends, where I have to somehow bring people up 6' in 5' of ground space.

After studio, I began biking home. On the last couple of bike trips, I'd noticed a vibration coming from the back tire. Meant to take a look at it. Got really strong coming to studio and I realized that the tire was hitting the inside of the fork because it was out of alignment. I didn't have the tools to fix it at school, so I tried to ride it home. I hit a bump, the entire wheel came way out of alignment, with one of the axles trying to leave the fork, jamming the tire against the fork, and bringing it to a shuddering halt. I tried to kick it back into position, but gave up when it was futile. So I carried and dragged the stupid thing the mile or so back home.

Later that evening, I went over a friend's house for a dinner party with a bunch of friends from studio. They had turkey burgers and vegitarian chili. It was actually pretty good, and it was fun hanging out and socializing.

1 comment:

Nancy Case said...

You can get to Argentina with 40,000 American Airlines miles. Your roundtrip Phoenix to London is a good start.

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende