Feb 23, 2006

Working the plan...

Doing better in Structures. Today we had a pop quiz in class. Yes, this is the second day in a row of pop quizzes. I did much better this time, getting the right answer at the last minute. The problem was simple, identify the maximum amount of weight per foot on a beam, but figuring out the process of coming up with the right answer was tricky. I also had trouble converting between kips and pounds and feet and inches, when they are combined in units like kips per square foot, pound-feet, etc. Once I'd nailed the process, and figured out my units, the problem took literally three five minutes. I got the right answer! So hopefully this balances out my horrendous last pop quiz.

Lets see. Still not getting much sleep. Had macaroni and cheese for dinner last night and lunch today. I cant think of anything more rubbery than left over mac and cheese. Finished my taxes yesterday, and almost done with the FAFSA, so that is on track, just need to make sure that I get my proof of scholarship over to the IPO people whenver it gets back to ASU. March 1st is coming... oh and a week from today we have a midterm in structures. March 7th we have a big paper due on the workds of Palladio and Sinan the architect- you over in the Heroic Fatherland may know him as the architect of the Suleyman mosque.

So- more work for tonight- researching the history of pools for studio, and reading my history text on palladio and sinan so I have some vauge idea of context and understanding them. I've got a pot pie from home waiting in the freezer here, and nothing but time on my hands. Time to get cracking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I assume you are refering to the St. Sofia mosque/catherdral in Istanbul.

Glad to hear the structures is coming along... as a young engineer we spent quite a bit of time on unit tracking and conversion. Happy to share if you care...

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende