Feb 6, 2006

More Bridges


I think I've figured out my bridge design. Here's a picture of it (hopefully this website will let me post it). Click for the larger view.

I've also been following, with great dismay, the news from Syria and Palestine. Both Danish Embassies have been torched by rioting crowds, and police have fired shots, killing one demonstrator in attempts to bring the mob under control. Danes have been advised to leave the country if possible, and Danish products are taken from shelves while the Danish flag is burned outside.

What could cause such widespread anger and meyhem? A cartoon.

It's surprising to me how potent the graphic medium is, even when compared with literature. When Salmon Rushie published the Satanic Verses, there was a price put on his head, but the American embassies weren't stormed and burned. The Chinese protested outside of the US embassy while I was in Beijing, after the US accidently bombed one of their embassies, killing several Chinese diplomats, but those demonstrations were controlled, even passive, compared with the ones going on in the middle east. (My scout master at the time, trapped in the embassay as he was, was still able to send a guy out for pizza).

Took saturday off to lounge, worked in studio all day today.

1 comment:

Nancy Case said...

Even in very peaceful U.A.E., Danish products were removed from the shelves at Carrefour.

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende