Jan 16, 2006

Martin Luther King Jr. Day- No school

Every Martin Luther King, Jr. day, I read one of his speeches or letters. Today I read "Letter from Birmingham Jail," a lengthy bit of corrospondance he wrote to the leaders of his church who had publicly condemned his actions in the nonviolent protests in the city. In the response he said "More basically I am in Birmingham because injustace is here....Injustice anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere." It's an inspiring peice of writing.

He's a link to the full text of the letter.

Last night, Ben came back to the apartment. He called up some friends of his and people I knew back from the dorms and we just decided to drive somewhere. It was a little past midnight when we set out in Ian's car, and we picked the beeline highway and started driving. Ben was the acting DJ in the front seat, and I was crammed in the back with two other friends. It was peaceful, almost meditative, driving through the high desert and mountains with the cloudy skies illuminated by the bright full moon. We drove all the way to Payson where we stopped at a gas station for snacks. There was snow on the ground up there. We turned around and drove back, getting back to Phoenix a little after 3 AM. It was very surreal.

Today I bought an iron and an ironing board from Target, and picked up some notebooks for school tomorrow.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende