Jan 15, 2013

Alec Discovers TV

Since graduating, I have made the incredible discovery of this thing TV. It turns out that there is media, very much like a movie, which consists of moving images and sound which is constructed into a loose narrative, heavily involving people in various situations, of slightly less than an hour. This is broadcast and received by a screen, with the intent of being consumed within one's home. Truly, I have been in the dark, secluded in studio and in my studies!

Here is what I have seen so far: one episode apiece.

How I Met Your Mother: I thought it was pretty funny, actually. I recognize a few of the actors in this show from The Muppets and Harold and Kumar go to White Castle. A show about friends and dating. A little whiny.

Elementary: a modern take on Sherlock Holmes, I was initially hostile to it because the title is clearly taken from a popular phrase "Elementary, my dear Watson" which actually NEVER appears in the books. Which is precisely the point: its not about the books. It's a novel conception of Holmes, which, once I got past that bit, was very enjoyable to watch, although highly predictable. Although I have to say, they make Lucy Liu, who is incredibly attractive, look as dowdy and old as the checkout lady at the Asian market.

Biggest Loser: I've never seen more grown men and women crying so much. Yes, I know that for them, everything needs to be ten times more dramatic to make it television-worthy, but seriously: did you really need the entire focused attention of the United States to make some serious changes to your diet and health? Pathetic.

Person of Interest: surprisingly predictable and boring for a show about shadow government agencies and spies. The camera view with a facebook box around heads gets old real quick and it's annoying because I know how surveillance cameras really see and annotate the world, because it's definitely not with a neat little gray box.

General Hospital: A long-running soap opera grandma Loretta watches. All the characters need to be shot. Preferably at close range. An orgy of atrocious decisions and long, drawn-out emotional scenes involving loathsome, amoral people.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende