Jan 2, 2013

making lists and working lists

Apparently I finished an entire bottle of wine New Years eve. The champagne we split three ways, although Chuck just had one glass.

Didn't get much done the next day. Woke up rather late, but without a hangover, which is nice.

Today I made a list of things to do, and the amazing thing is that when I make a list, I tend to get things done on that list. I went climbing at the rock gym with Chuck. Did better than I thought, knocking out a 2 and a bunch of 1s. I guess I'm remembering the techniques better than the muscle mass. It's generally possible to muscle your way up these walls up to a point- but really its all about positioning and leveraging. I wouldn't be that surprised if experienced climbers can take a few years off and then pick right up again. It's really less about strength and more about position.

After climbing, we stopped by the St. Louis central library, which had recently reopened. The library had been closed for several years while Cannon design refurbished and designed some new parts. The library is beautiful- it's a grand old public building in the tradition of the east coast cities- mosaic tile ceilings, carved stone, stained glass, ornate brass light fixtures, elaborate carved ceilings and moldings. The new stuff is likable and understated, although I was disappointing to find out that the cool cantilevered glass boxes are part of special collections that require special access. And actually, the library feels a little light in the books department. It felt like the stacks were spread a little thin throughout the building.

Definitely worth another trip for photographs.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende