Jan 21, 2013

v3

I started rock climbing last semester with Dew, Chuck and Saori. It's great to start a new hobby/sport/whatever in a group of newbies, because then you have at least each other to compare your progress against and to support and challenge each other.

When we started four months ago, none of us could finish any of the routes in the gym, including the v0s. In rock climbing, there is a sub-sport called bouldering where you climb without a harness, typically to low heights, and it's apparently much more technical than straight rope climbing.

Bouldering is also possibly the cutest sport there is, narrowly edging out real-life Quiddich. Climbers squeeze their feet into tiny, brightly colored pointed shoes. Many of these shoes use velcro fasteners. The only way they could be any cuter is to put unicorn stickers on them. Climbing attire could be mistaken for yoga attire, except for the short pants which hit the leg mid-calf. These tend to be just slightly less adorable than the shoes. Then there is the activity itself. A good climber moves like a ballerina on the wall, carefully and skillfully contorting, extending legs and arms, making controlled movements and small leaps. And not at breathtaking heights either- only a few feet off the floor typically.

Still, for all that, it can be incredibly intense, a brutal workout, and at times terrifying. I've really enjoyed it. It's rare to me to find something that works my arms and core that I find compelling enough to keep at it. Today I finished my first v3. Now, every route is set by people with different abilities and judgement, and the rating of the route is often highly subjective. Actually, I've climbed more difficult v2s before. But it was still a kick to finish this route clean.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende