Mar 10, 2005

A Departure from Salsa

Short post tonight. Took a test this morning in Architecture Structures I've got one tomorrow on Urban planning. It's going to be 5 out of 6 questions, essay format. I think I'm pretty ready, still need to do some more studying tomorrow morning before class. I have the concepts pretty solidly though. It was up in the low 80's today, and sunny. Gorgeous weather. I opened all the windows and sat in my armchair to study this afternoon.

In salsa class, about half the class was absent. I figure that half of the class that would take salsa would also probably leave for spring break three days in advance. Anyway, our teacher was a lot happier. She's this far out woman in her fifties or late forties. She's a great dancer, full of energy, smokes, and swears like a sailor. At the clubs we can always find her to stamp our cards at the bar. Anyway, we learned only one new move, then we did all these crazy dances. She started the class by telling us that if we all participated and were enthusiastic, we could leave early. From then on, whenever she did a move, or asked a question, the whole class errupted into cheers, clapping, and whistling. We started off just doing silly walks to the music, then dancing wildly with a partner in improvisizational silliness. Then began our tour of other dances. We did the macarana, the electric slide (boogie woogie woogie woogie), the jitterbug, cotton-eyed joe (performed in the Texan style of lining four dancers in a line, and shouting "Bulls***!" with each kick to the music), the conga, and finally the polka which is a much sillier dance than I ever imagined. Perhaps thats just how she did it. Anyway, we ended after an hour instead of the usual three. The most fun I'd had all week actually.

Ben and I went to Filberto's for dinner. I got a carne asado burrito and a churro. One advantage of living in a heavily hispanic city is you can't beat the food's authenticity. The closest grocery store to me carries prickly pear, cow tongue, fresh corn tortillas, and sugar cane when in season.
The new architecture project is to add a spacial program of ceremonial spaces, a museum, archives, and admininstration buildings to the cemetery site, retaining most of what our design had and the concept.
Jen also finally found a condo. She's really excited about how she's going to retile and recarpet it. Its got its own washer and dryer, I'm so jealous!

Anyway, wish me good luck for my test tomorrow.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende