Mar 11, 2005

My Wild Wild Wild Spring Break!

Yesterday (tuesday) I took my essay test in urban planning. I think it went pretty well. After the test, I wandered over to Borders bookstore and started purusing some of the new books. I picked up one called Jennifer Government, and just reading the first few pages, I laughed so much I decided to buy it. It's not a great novel, but its a fun read. It's basically about a near future where everything has become privatized and people take the last names of the company they work for. It's basically how a Nike marketing exec orders the shooting of a dozen teenagers who buy ridicously overpriced shoes in order to increase thier appeal. The fall guy, Hack Nike, a kind of wishy-washy protagonist, goes to the police at the behest of his corporite-virus writing girlfriend. Events spiral out of control as the police offer to do the killings. They in turn, subcontract the job to the NRA, which has become a worldwide paramilitary mercenery force. Its a bizzare, funny, and biting novel about the excesses of consumerism and capitalism. Anyway, I read it and ate some ice cream outside. It got up to the low 80s again yesterday. For dinner, Jen, Amy, Ben and I went to Char's Thai restaurant. The food was good, but the decor threw me off. The facade was rustic wooden boards, there were wagon wheels at the head of each table, and longhorn steer horns on the exposed beams. This was all mixed in with small statues of Thai dancers, artworks, and gods. They had good chicken satay which really reminded me of going to the hawker stalls back in Singapore. I really miss Singapore.
Today I made a list of all the things I need to get done this week including FAFSA, taxes, homework, minivan work, and most importantly organizing my final portfolio. The program coordinator told us that he thought 120 people would apply for upper division, and there are 48 slots available, give or take a few. The due date is MAY 3rd at 5:00 PM, so feel free to harass me and check on my progress to keep me on track. It's not going to do anyone any good to turn it in at 5:05 and have to wait another year to resubmit.
I've spent the day working on portfolio, cleaning up and organizing my photographs from first studio. I'll do studio 2 stuff tomorrow.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende