Mar 23, 2005

Fake classes

Monday we had a sort of back to school dinner at the apartment. I marinated some steaks and Ben grilled them on the barbeque outside, and Jen made rice crispy treats. Yesterday, I watched a movie in my urban planning class about growth issues in Phoenix. In five years, Phoenix has moved from sixth largest US city to fifth. It was kind of interesting, and I was bemused to find most of the footage shot in Scottsdale. Tuesday evening, people critiqued my story in creative writing. For the most part, they liked it, and they really liked the twist at the end. Last night, I worked until 2:30 AM on a model for my studio today.

What I hate about wednesdays is that I generally stay up late finishing projects for studio tuesday night, then I have an 8:40 AM lecture to listen to SMurf drone for an hour, directly followed by more than two hours of lecture on building structures and materials. It's like watching golf followed by C-SPAN. Speaking of which, I havn't seen any television in about a month. I'm trying out some new music, specificially Interpol, Modest Mouse, and Pinback. Interpol is post-punk, but the latter two are more instrumental.

Tomorrow, pre-registration begins ASU. As architecture students trying to get into upper division, we have to pretend that we aren't going to get in and sign up for "fake classes." I'll probably sign up for a few fake classes, and then use two or three as electives I'll keep, making sure they don't conflict with the upper division classes. I'm thinking about taking Finding Purpose, a sort of psychology for design majors, and more about professional practice, and either a graphic design class or industrial design, or both. I'm also thinking about a Tai Chi class on the weekend. We'll see. A few people I know have already submitted applications to other colleges in case they don't get in. Most colleges would love to get someone from the ASU architecture program. My plan B is "don't screw up plan A".

Back to work. It's like a mantra. I feel like I'm saying it constantly. Today, this blog was brought to you by Dan Hoffman, who generously canceled his 2 hour structures class and allowed me to write this and to take a nap. I have studio at 1:40-4:30, a city of phoenix planning comission meeting to attend at 6:00 for my urban planning class, and Salsa from 7:30 until 10. Thursday, I have a planning session with chase in the afternoon, and we were kicking around the idea of taking him to dinner and the salsa club. Early Friday morning, Jen and I have our flight to San Francisco.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende