Mar 20, 2005

Spring Break: Reprise

What did I actually get done this week? Let's see.
The majority of my time I spent working on my upper division porfolio, finishing the rough draft of the first two studios. It's approximately fifty pages long, so editing is definately the next step after I finish my last project for third studio. I worked on portfolio from Friday though Tuesday.

Wednesday, I went camping with Jen up in Sedona. There were still patches of snow on the ground in the shade. We got there in the morning and set up camp in the "reserved" area after finding a site with reservations for friday. As we'd only be camping there one night, I figured I was fine, especially since there were more than a dozen empty reservation campsites. Well, around two, the camp host comes around in her giant desiel pickup (she's driving around a loop that's less than a quater of a mile) and tells us that we have to move because these sites are reserved. "There's no reservation for tonight I tell her." I get a blank look and she tells us that we have to move anyway. What I should have done is called to reserve the site I was already on. Anyway, we took down camp and moved it to the most isolated site on the "open" campsites, still only about a hundred feet from the road. We paid $18 for this privillage. The campground has tables, running water, and outhouses sure, but I'd really like my wilderness a little more wild. Anyway, I got a fire going at dusk and we cooked hot dogs and smores. It was a really cold night, dipping down into the 30's. I had made the mistake of taking Dad's huge tent as it is much better shape than my 2 man tent, so it remained pretty cold all night. I took a stone from the fire though and wrapped it with clothes, so it worked as a footwarmer for Jen. The next morning we stopped in Oak Creek to look for a place for breakfast. Every place we looked was either closed or had stopped serving breakfast. We settled on an expresso bar/ lunheon place that had croissants with egg cheese and ham. The rest of I thursday I spent cleaning the apartment and working on other stuff.
Friday I started working on my taxes, rummaging through old papers, filing things, and putting together my W2s. H&R block has a free online filing service where they tell you where to find things and where to put them, but I came to a block in trying to figure out what to do about the check the school sent me, the remainder of my scholarship for about $450. I went to the IRS website, and of course they have a pdf on it about 80 pages long. Friday night, Sally and Johnathan had Jen and I over for dinner. It was really good, and Sally gave me a book of architecture details of particular styles as well as an extremely generous helping of leftovers. We played a few rounds of uno before heading back.
Yesterday (Saturday) I spent mostly working on my new architecture project. We're taking the same cemetery site, retaining all the critical elements of it and the programmatic stuff from the first two projects, and now we're placeing structures on the site. We have to have administration areas, lecture halls, kitchens, a museum, archives, etc. Last night I also got a guy "al" to come test drive the minivan. This is the first minivan he's looked at, so it's no surprise that he offered us $9,000 for it. Hopefully he will have looked around more over the weekend and learned what a steal it is at 12K. I should still doublecheck the price on bluebook though.
Today I need to do more planning for Europe. Chase is coming next week and we're going to meet up to finalize plans.
Taylor, congratulations on what mom describes as a stunning performance. Mad propz homey-T.

1 comment:

Nancy Case said...

I think your camp host is really a Russian burocrat.

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende