Mar 13, 2005

Working the day long

Got up and made a decent breakfast this morning: Fried eggs, sausage, and toast. I worked on portfolio stuff from then until about six. My portfolio is coming along ok. I've got a layout that is starting to work for me, and I've actually got my first project laid out (I'll probably inlude a dozen projects). I'm using InDesign, which is a really powerful layout program. I still need to re-photograph my most recent model against a black backdrop. I'll try to get what I've got out on the net somehow, maybe as a PDF for comments. Jen worked beside me for awhile. Her portfolio is due in late April. In some ways, its more difficult for them, as they have perscribed sections and a perscribed layout (8.5x11 in a view binder), thus putting a lot more emphasis on the layout design. To her credit, it looks extremely professional, like fashion magazine spreads.
Wow. I just realized that Taylor will be sixteen in April. SIXTEEN! how did that happen? Wish I was going to be there for your party, man. I really miss you.
Anyway, I ate a pot pie for dinner. After dinner, Jen and I went to Salsa. The club was really empty when we got there, but we arrived a little after nine which is pretty early. At least we got a few dances in where the dance floor wasn't packed. We saw our teacher dance tonight too. She's got to be in her fifties, but she looks and moves like a woman in her thirties. The only thing is that she smokes and you can see how it's aged her face. When we came up to get our cards stamped, she recognized us and said we looked really good. I was really impressed. She has literally 400 students in her salsa classes. I guess we stood out more since we're one of very few couples from her salsa 1 class who actually dance on the dance floor. Most of the time it's dominated by higher level students, and people who really know how to move. It's a lot of fun to watch the really good people, it looks like they're hovering, spinning around, kicking, etc. I'd highly recommend going to a Salsa club at least once if just to watch the people there. The only thing that bugs me is that its really loud so I always leave partially deaf. There's also some cigarette smoke that wafts in from the inner bar, and the intense crowd and heat gets to me after awhile.
It's surprising to reflect how far I've come since January, considering my difficulty in keeping rythm and gracefully following predetermined steps. Looking at all the other couples which put me to shame, I have to keep in mind how long I've been dancing, and how far ahead I am from those who don't go out there on the floor.
Tomorrow: Design Blitz Day!

1 comment:

Nancy Case said...

I'm not surprised you are doing so well in salsa. You have always been "Tuesday's child," full of grace.

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende