Oct 10, 2005

When we pinned what we had up on the wall today in architecture, I had the widest variety of media exploring my project. Let me take a step back. There are three studio professors, I have the most senior one who is running the program. I just lucked out that way. We were given a handout of what was expected for presentation today. It was left extremely vauge and confusing. For instance, it only specified three 1' = 1/2" section drawing, but on a vertically oriented 11"x17" sheet of paper. This means that if you follow the directions, you can only show about 20 feet of a space.

Thoughly confused, but following the studio axiom of "when in doubt, draw for clarity" I drew sections on much wider peices of paper. I also did a bunch of little notebook pen sketches which I colored in with pencil showing various interior moments. Jen is a bit irritated that we have this assignment as it a lot of interior work and dealing with interior design issues.

I also wrote a short story detailing how the spaces felt and describing them as I moved through them, but then it turned into a horror story in which I described the spaces the character was running through to escape a Horror. I'll have to put that little story on here. The studio professor made me read it out loud. The last thing I did was write a top ten list of things I hate about hayden library and how I would improve them.

The other studio for today had to have NINE section drawings, and THREE section models, where they actually build about ten feet deep sections. I'm really glad I'm not in that class.
I desperately need to do laundry tonight. I'll have to buck up and pay the apartment washer price since the laundromat I go to closes at ten. All I really need is the essentials.

There are architecture students working in the building from 7 AM until 4 AM almost every night. No other building keeps its lights on 24/7 at ASU. Why is this?
Is it because we have more work than any other discipline on campus? I assumed this was the case all last semester. I don't think so any more. I think architecture students just tend to be more dedicated to the program. The program is so intense, especially the first two years, that it completely changes the way you percieve the world. Architecture becomes a lifestyle. I think it really transcends homework because your work becomes part of you. It's definately got that aspect of art. Its also amazingly fun. At least, it is at this point. The first two years were a struggle, and I dont think I had as much fun as I've had this semester. At this point too, everyone has paid thier dues, gone through the crucible of getting into upper division and that fierce passion for design is the glue which really holds the design community togather.

Anyway, I was going to write about something else which I have forgotten. This entry is long enough anyway.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende