Nov 27, 2005

Not the best day I've ever had

Yesterday will not make the top 10 best days I've had this semester. I covered a shift of a coworker Saturday from noon-5, and it just felt like I'd lost the entire day. I got some good work done, and by the end of the night I'd finished a model in sketchup complete with cars, people, stop signs, and plants and succussfully exported it to google earth so I can use it in my presentation. However, I was only able to make one wall of my model. These things take so much time and energy. What's worse is that I ended up building my model in not one, not two, but three CAD programs, first autocad from the alst project, then roughly in sketchup, then completely from scratch in formZ becasue I needed the better detail and interior shots, then after I found I could export to google earth, back to finish the rough model in sketchup. My computer has also been freezing up every time I launch google earth and acting wierd when I use openGL functions in my cad programs. Updating the driver from ATI didn't help, so I had to hunt around until I figured out what the problem was: Dell requests special drivers for all the technology they install at thier facotory, so if you have an ATI card which was installed for you by dell, none of the ati updates work, you have to go back to Dell to get thier drivers. SO I figured that out, and downloaded the driver, and that solved all my graphics problems. So that was good, although it was unbeleivably frustrating. I decided to call it a night a little after 11 as I wasn't making any progress, and I feel terrible with anything less than seven hours of sleep. My bike was gone. In the spot it occupied, I found my cable bike lock, neatly cut. I walked home and watched some monty python before going to bed. I should have used my u-bar lock. The bike was only $60 used, but it was the best bike I'd ever had. I guess I have something new to add to my christmas list.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende