Nov 7, 2005

Weekend summary

Friday I took the van in to the Honda care place to get the tires rotated and aligned. Unfortunately, this didn't solve the slight pull problem. With the rotation, now the van pulls in the opposite direction. The guy I talked to said it was a matter of wear on the front tire treads. Anyway, it took longer than expected, so I got halfway throuhg the book on emotional design we're supposed to have read for a quiz this thursday.

That class, human factors in design, is a huge waste of time. At this point, the teacher has become so self-depeciating that he's bitter, and we're all falling asleep in class. He's not even coming up with his own material anymore, just outlining chapters in the book on powerpoint. I wouldn't even come to class if not for the fact that he passes around an attendance sheet.

Friday night, we went to first fridays in downtown phoenix and wandered around for awhile. It's become a massive event, such to the extent that land and housing prices are rising which is threatening the poorer artists in the artists community. We met with a bunch of people from Molly and Jen's studio and decided to go camping.

Saturday morning, I threw all my camping essentials in the car and went to Molly's house. I was hte only one to bring a water purifyer, camp stove, sleeping pad etc. I actually let loaned out a sleeping bag and mom and dad's massive tent. We moved stuff around in the different cars. With a bunch of college poeple our departure time of ten AM was moved to noon. After stopping at the new In-n-out burger near campus, the twelve of us took four cars out to the campsite near Camp Verde. The last three miles were on a dirt road, which the audi convertable and the VW bug took very slowly. We camped beside a little watering hole with a very cold creek running through it. It was pretty, as the leaves were beginning to turn in the fall colors.

It was a fun trip, we got a fire going, roasted hot dogs and made smores. My cell phone fell out of my pocket while I was gathering firewood that night, and it took me three hours to find it again the following morning. Unfortantely, my eyeglasses weren't that lucky. One of the arms got bent down. As I slowly straightened it, it snapped off. I'd bent the arm down once before, in europe, when I accidently stepped on it, and so the metal was too brittle to be re-adjusted a second time. Time to start looking for new classes. Until then its the one-armed glasses look.

Got back sunday afternoon and I spent the rest of the day reading history of architecture notes and more Emotional Design.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende