Jul 17, 2006

Abu Dhabi

I left Phoenix, Arizona at 9 PM Saturday night, and I arrived in Dubai at 8 AM Monday morning. I've actually spent about 26 hours of travel. Flight direct to New York on AmericaWest, redeye, got a little sleep on that. Got into New York at 5:30 AM for a 11:30 AM flight. Picked up my bags at baggage claim, and then went over the other terminal to wait. Sat outside enjoying the cool morning and admiring Saarinen's TWA terminal while I tried to figure out why my computer wouldn't start. At 7:45, the Emirates Air ticketing counter opened and I rechecked my bags. Then I wandered downstairs, ate a slice of pizza for breakfast, and read, waiting for my flight. Really impressed with Emirates Air. The plane was smaller than a 747, an Airbus 340, but really designed for long haul travel in mind. Best in flight entertainment sysyem. About 50 movies, newer and older, and playable at any time or pausing. They also had cameras in the front and bottom of the plane, so can get a really cool view from when the plane lands. Mom and Dad met me at the airport. The heat and humidity hit me like a wave, reminded me of Singapore. Welcome to the middle east. We actually flew over Iran. I tried to look out the window when we flew over Isfahan, but it was too dusty to see clearly. Dubai is a city under construction. New towers going up everywhere, entire city sections under development. It's amazing to see. Now I'm in Abu Dhabi, and completely wiped out.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende