Jul 12, 2006

So Much for a Visa

When we first convened before school was out, we were given an absurd list of paperwork requirements to fill out, notarize, translate, and re-notarized. Later that summer, people made phone calls and it was established that that list of requirements was for a full year, and as we would be there for only six months, we had a much more reasonable list of things to fill out and give to the consulate. BUT there is a catch- to be able to apply for this thing, the schools had to send some paperwork directly to the consulates. Last week was the first time I got confirmation from the trip coordinator that they'd sent our names to our respective consulates. So I figure, you know, i've got all the docs, we can do this thurs-friday. But we have no idea how long the turn around time is. Do we come back in ten days? Do they give it to us on the spot? No clue. The consulate only answers thier phone between 2-4 PM, and not on mondays. I tried them three times yesterday with no luck. Aldo managed to get through. They only had one person from ASU on thier list. Aldo speaks spanish too so I dont think it was a communication error either. The visa woman told him it would be a waste of time to drive down as they dont have anyone else on that list. I know that at least five or six other people should be going to the LA consulate for their visas.

So. No trip to LA for us, who are leaving Saturday. It's so completely frustrating. I really hate consulates. It's almost as though their only purpose is to keep people out.

Yesterday was my last day of work. One of my bosses called me over to his desk the day before, and said that he'd been very pleased with the work I was doing, and offered me the option of coming back to work during the school year to pick up a few hours each week. The other guy I work with is also an ASU architecture guy who comes in just on fridays during the semester. He also said that most people who accept the offer and continue to keep student hours are usually rolled right over and offered a position in the company. My plan right now is to finish a semester in Argentina and another at ASU, work for them for a year, and then go on to grad school.

Moving out status report: the woman agreed to the terms and accepted my price for the van. I need to let her know how the process of selling works officially. I also need to call her today and let her know I need to keep the van until thursday morning at least because I still need to move my big items out. Sally and Jonathan have been saints, offering me the use of thier Subaru after I sell the van, and putting me up after I leave the apartment. I think I'm going to need a bigger unit than a 5x10, what with the minifridge I forgot i had, my ikea desk, my dining table and chairs, the two chinese bookshelves, and all the boxes of stuff. Yeeesh time is roaring by.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We hope you are enjoying that chick-magnet station wagon you borrowed! --Sally

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende