Dec 23, 2006

400 posts, 2 years, 20 countries

This is my 400th posting to this blog, a small milestone. What do I want for christmas? 400 more posts, another two years, and 20 more countries.

In all seriousness, I am so fortunate, that I lack for nothing, especially in this consolidating time of my life. In fact, when I return to Tempe, I intend to halve my possessions once more like I halved them before I left.

It's an interestng predicament that very few face. What do you get for the person who has everything? Being in Argentina has made me realize that I can happy live on very few possessions. I had a very wise great grandfather who had a saying to the effect that a lot of life is realizing the difference between what you want and what you need.

The things I know I want and probably need are new experiances, new places, family, friends, music, and the means to express my abilities

There are, of course, key tools to achieve these aims. Camera, ipod, laptop, tickets, etc. All for the most part, I have in good working order. My camera is 4 megapixels and 3.5 years old, definately beat up, but still taking good pictures. My laptop is on its last legs, and nothing is making me drool more than a dual core processor. My ipod still works great and is keeping me tuned up and tuned in, and I'm going to Cairo in a few days.

No real point to this post, I'm just using to muse as to why I'm having such a hard time figuring out what I want for christsmas. So far, I have a charger for my ipod, a CD, and a book. I think I'll ask for scuba certfication to be my big christmas gift (apart from a trip to Egypt of course).

How does one define spoiledness? I grew up drinking good wines, and as a result, I can't enjoy the Franzia that is sometimes served at college dinner parties. I don't complain about it, I just politely accept it if it would be impolite to turn it down. Am I still spoiled? For me, spoiled has a a connotation of corruption. The tooth that has had too many sweets becomes rotten. I think spoiled would be to turn the wine down regardless, or to ask for something else, or complain about it. I've become used to, and addicted to, international travel. It is now an embedded expectation that I will travel. Am I used to living in a dream world, ultmately impossible to maintain? Absolutely. Am I spoiled? That remains to be seen when the dream comes to an end.

This post is turning way too self indulgent, so I will end it here.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende