Dec 6, 2006

buenos aires top ten

Considering the bottom ten, I'd still rather be in Buenos Aires over almost any other American City. Here we go, top ten Buenos Aires:

10) Pimped-out busses- how many hundred bus companies are there in Buenos Aires? each one has thier own hand painted bus design, and the interiors are all finished with embossed mirrors, fringe, black lights, fuzz, etc.

9) Argentine warmpth and consideration- they may be snobbish, but they are never above a smile, helping out a stranger, or giving up a seat in a bus.

8) Affordabilty of everything- I know its not a great thing for the Argentines after the economic crisis, but its made so much possible for me, as an American student.

7) Cafes everywhere- Especially on sunny public plazas

6) Literary culture- the home of Borges has amazing bookstores from the tiny musty used bookstores with hidden treasure to the massive and elegent El Ateno.

5) Lomo- best steaks I've ever had, for unbelievably low prices.

4) Mendoza Malbec Wines- I'm glad Argentina keeps the good wines at home.

3) Choripan- greasy, mystery meat grilled goodness. Who knows what it is, but it's good with some Chimichurri in the park.

2) Heilado y Dulce de leche- need I say more?

The number one thing I like about Buenos Aires:

1) Cafe con leche y medialunas- The world's best repast, good for any time of the day. These pastries, far superior to mere croisssants, smile back at you.

4 comments:

Nancy Case said...

Great lists. Bring us back a Malbec.

Anonymous said...

Are U blind? Where are the girls in your list? Anyway good post!

Diva said...

Loved your post. But why are you leaving?

Anonymous said...

hi, i am a porteƱa :) i really liked this top ten, but my fav item was the cafe con leche y medialunas, hahaha, cute and funny. i hope you'll miss my country. its a place to be missed.

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende