Apr 3, 2012

Design thinking quotes

We had one of our last Design Thinking pinups today. Most of the following top quotes are from the two reviewing professors. DT is the most esoteric, bizzare class I think I've ever had. The whole experience has been really surreal, like when you've been drinking steadily and then quit, and then you're in this really strange place- not super drunk anymore, but just really mellowed out. Actually, students who were in it last year told me that the best thing is to just roll with it, don't fight it, let it take you to strange places. Don't be afraid if you don't really know what you're doing. It's the students who fight it for control, who get scared and panic, who stress out about it, who really have the hardest time with it.

Actually, when you get to be as sleep deprived, you are kind of stoned on top of everything else. There's actually something somewhat productive if you're careful with sleep deprivation. When you get more tired and you're forcing yourself to stay awake, your critical capacity goes down. You just want to get something on paper or a model built so you can be done. It's a moment when your intuition is able to push through and guide your hands. In the best case, the tiredness lets you overcome a self-critical block that is keeping you from pushing a design further. In the worst, you produce terrible crap. Either way, its production.

Anyway, on to the quotes!
"...executions, what have you." 
"I've decided to combine a grocery store, a library, and a black box theater."
"I could squash you. So imagine." 
"That's me. I'm the dangler."
"These are big questions: 'what is architecture?' Are you going to tell us?"
"I can drive through Brookstone."
"So what is the pedestrian doing down here?"
"What's funny about a clown?"
"I just want to fill a mall with cars."
"Hi, my name is Helena and I'm interested in breaking out of the HVAC box we're in."
"Are we going to get to the part about drugs and sex?"
"We keep moving foward....together."
"Who's moving forward?"
"Everybody. With technology."
"We used to be smarter."
"You have to neutralize people's conscious minds."
"This is an impressive amount of a lot of stuff coming out of your head."
"If you don't burn down the prairie, you don't get a better prairie."
"The rule of selling is that once you've sold it, you stop selling it."

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende