Apr 8, 2012

Easter Sunday

Bloomington Indiana, is possibly the least accessible city I've ever been to in the US. Coming from Indianapolis, you're fine and its freeway all the way down, but coming from any other direction, you're looking at an hour of winding, two lane country roads through farms and towns so small that when your back tires are entering, your front tires are leaving. It was a lovely time to be driving at dusk, with an amazing and huge full moon right at the horizon, like a giant orange balloon, but the deer nearly killed me.

I was cruising along around 60 miles an hour, when out of nowhere, this deer leaps out of the hedges on the side of the road and runs right in front of me. I swerve all the way into the oncoming traffic lane and just miss that stupid creature by a few feet, tires squealing as I weave the car back to my lane. Know what the most dangerous animal is in the US? Deer. They kill way more people via car crashes than boars, bears, pumas, coyotes, or sharks. 

I brought Tay a St. Louis care package- sausage, Shlafly beer, and his favorite, gooey butter cookies, so he was very happy to get these birthday presents as well as my birthday presence. His law school friends were also impressed I made the trek down. 

We left tay's place and moved on to another house party which was slightly larger, and then onto a much larger house party. Apparently, all the 1Ls had just handed in a major memo so they were in major party mode. After the house party, we hit a few bars, which really reminded me of ASUland. Overpriced near-beers like MillerLite on tap, thumping music, younger college crowds. 

Next morning we had a hangover breakfast, took a walk through the park near Tay's apartment, and I headed back to St. Louis. Sal treated us to a delicious cajun dinner at Riverbend bar, and then we hit up Beale on Broadway for some smoking blues with Marquis Knox, a 21 year old blues virtuoso. Good times.

This morning, we enjoyed a farewell breakfast in CWE with Sal, and and he headed off to Kansas City. Meanwhile, we headed back to studio and I did my taxes and am attempting to make some headway with my much neglected studio work.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende