Apr 19, 2012

small successes, systemic failures

It's been a busy past few days with little sleep involved. Monday was practically an all-nighter as I prepared for the big design thinking presentation and book. Tuesday night was a celebratory night for all involved, capped with $1 taco tuesdays at Fuzzy's taco shop. (The beef tacos, however, did not fare so will with gastointestinal systems of my fellow celebrants). So tuesday night was basically off. Wednesday, all day I worked on revising my portfolio and submitting to a position in Boston, and the later half of the day until around 2 am, I worked on my grasshopper tower.

Grasshopper refers to a piece of parametric software which works with another 3D modeling program, Rhinoceros. The class I'm taking in it had it final presentation today, and I only found the final shape of the tower last night. So, this morning, early, but not that early, I rushed back to school and worked all day to map my component, learn Ecotect, figure out how to make my component respond to the ecotect solar exposure data to see how open each component should be, and the diagram, render, and lay out boards of all that work, plus everything else we did this semester. It was a lot of work, but I'm actually pretty happy with how it turned out. I think I had one of the better boards up on the wall (and probably one of the top four projects in our class of twelve.)

More importantly, it was the first time I had a building which was completely swoopy, curvilinear, and rendered using vray (thanks for the tutorial, Dew!) It will be happy in my portfolio which is severely lacking in swoopy forms which are so popular now.

Job hunting is not going well. I've applied to less than ten firms, and I should probably have applied to at least three times that by now. Word on the street is the major firms have already made their summer hiring decisions, and I so far only one firm has given me a rejection letter (all the others are assumed rejections). Time to hit the phonebook and see who's in town.

Or maybe I'll go teach Chinese in Shanghai (right).

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende